Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Meme: Fictional Characters to Whom I Relate.

Borrowed from Tori, originated at voxcorvegis.

The meme is simple; name six fictional characters in whom you could see yourself, and explain why you were able to do so. Mine are as follows:
  1. Sarah Vida, from Shattered Mirror and All Just Glass by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. Sarah struggles in these two books to grow up and to see outside the box her family built for themselves. She lives in a very limited world of vampires and those who hunt them. I identify because I spent years learning to connect with my peers, missing pop culture references, and trying to see and experience and understand people from other backgrounds. I've had to re-envision my entire worldview since coming to college, or it seems that way. And so does Sarah. (This may be one reason I've been obsessed with her for years, such that I frequently daydream about her story.)
  2. Karal in the Mage Storm Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey. Karal is a priest-in-training apprenticed to a priest-envoy. He sees the world with a lot of compassion, even those who are supposed to be his enemies. His thought processes are actually the closest to my own that I've ever encountered in literature, enough that I've more than once thought about a vocation as a religious leader because of these books.
  3. Lirael from the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix. Lirael is a misfit and bookish among the kin she grows up with. Both sentiments I identify with.
  4. Keladry of Mindelan, Protector of the Small Quartet by Tamora Pierce. Keladry is a strong female character, loves and is loved in turn by animals, and is a leader. I'm neither a knight nor a commander, but I have a similar effect on animals and people as she does, and I have the same instinct to protect those who can't protect themselves.
  5. Tara in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Joss Whedon). We're both quiet, and kind, and awesome singers. Also like women, although I am bi, not lesbian. (And wow, my explanations get shorter as I go along!) 
  6. Fluttershy in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Again with the quiet and good with animals tropes. I'm not the only one who has made the comparison. (Did I mention I'm also an introvert?)

No comments:

Post a Comment